9/30/08

Canada v. Catholicism

American Papist: Not Your Average Catholic!: Canada v. Catholicism:

"In Quebec, a french speaking province in Canada they have passed a law requiring all schools to teach a mandated course that will force Catholic schools to no longer be able to teach distinct Catholicism outside of social constructivism...This move by the Quebec government is quite literally the most dangerous regression of religious rights in North America. Because it is occurring in a French province in Canada it has not gotten the press it deserves,l it should serve as a canary in a mine..."

...........................................................................

They're getting desperate, and the more desperate they get - the more repressive they will be. Its up to the Quebecois, really. Are there any who care that they are being repressively 'managed' into good little state-owned peons? Anyone bristle at being told which holidays are fit, who their heroes are? Anyone feel put out by the IDEA of the gov't dictating that only the state religion should be allowed? The gov't also has a repressive attitude towards homeschoolers, which is consistent with their 'we will tell you what to believe' policy. Anyone feeling rebellious?

3 comments:

island breezes said...

Québec Liberal Party 46
Action démocratique du Québec 41
Parti québécois 36
Vacant seats 2

Jean Charest, leader of the Quebec Liberals, former federal Tory.

Harper ally.

Jeanne said...

State religion? The state religion here is to have NO religion.

Yes there are people who bristle as there is a group of parents, led by some lawyer that is trying to stop this. Of course noone REALLY listens, because we,re just a "fanatic minority" not to be taken seriously. If people did stop to listen though, maybe they'd find we actually made sense. I'm not in the group per say, I just receive their e-mails and keep up to date, because 1. I don't think I'd have much support from DH if I did, and I like to avoid confrontation, and 2. I don't have time to go to meetings anyway.

Also, teachers aren't exactly enthusiastic about this, and in reality, I don't think the parents are either. My friend told me that at the parent3teacher meeting at her son's school, the teacher told the parents "Between you and me, the kids have a hard enought time learning JUST ONE religion, so I think we'll be flying through the others.

My kids haven't even started any of this yet at their school.

And yeah, I am so SICK AND TIRED of being told what to think. Bloq Québecois is just as bad. Did you hear about how Duceppe totallt put down the Conservative candidate, just because she was a memeber of Opus Dei? He brought up the whole conspiracy theory and the secretiveness and said we should all be really worried. (Yeah,... and we shouldn't be worried about HIM?) He also pretty much called us all stubborn oafs. (Bornés - or one-eyed = stubbornly stupid and set in our ways). So like, yeah... I'm going to vote for some guy who insults my intelligence just because we don't agree on abortion and gay marriage. 2 issues out of how many? Now who's the idiot?

Gosh... yes I guess you can say I am feeling put out!

island breezes said...

State religion, as in 'secular humanism' .