9/1/08

Ken Epp Responds

"An orchestrated campaign against my Private Members Bill C-484, the Unborn Victims of Crime Act, has now been followed by my own government’s announcement that they will unveil new legislation that will include a victim’s pregnancy as an aggravating factor when judges consider sentencing offenders

This response is politically predictable and misses (intentionally, I am sure) the entire point of my Bill..."

".. One of my most vocal critics has literally said this: “If the fetuses are recognized in this bill, it could bleed into people’s consciousness and make people change their minds about abortion.” My reaction was, “if opponents are really worried about this, their issue is not with C-484 but about protecting their ideology at all costs.” If their ideology can’t withstand people thinking about what that ideology actually involves, how secure are they in their position? "

PTBC

No comments: