8/11/08

Horrific Bus Crash - Prayerful Response


A busful of Catholics headed to a Marian Days gathering in Missouri, lost control and crashed near Houston:

"As their charter bus approached a gradual turn in the early-morning hours, investigators say, a retreaded front tire blew. The bus sheared the guardrail off a bridge, then plunged about 8 feet onto a hillside above a creek.

At least 17 people have died from injuries suffered in the crash. About 30 more remained hospitalized, including six in intensive care at Sherman's Wilson N. Jones Medical Center..."

"...Back on the highway, pilgrims returning from the Missouri festival to honor the Virgin Mary stopped along the road to step on the dirt and grass where the bus came to a final rest.

Among the first to arrive was Theresa Thuong Pham, 14, and her family. On a patch of charred dirt, they placed a small bouquet of yellow, white and red flowers that earlier in the day adorned the Virgin Mary shrine in Missouri.

Moments later, other travelers pulled off the road and began to add to what quickly became a shrine that hundreds would visit before sunset." (h/t custos fidei)


Prayerful people have a way of dealing with tragedy that is incomprehensible to the secular world.

“For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear, I will help you (Isaiah 41:13).”

God, make me brave for life: oh, braver than this.
Let me straighten after pain, as a tree straightens after the rain,
Shining and lovely again.
God, make me brave for life; much braver than this.
As the blown grass lifts, let me rise
From sorrow with quiet eyes,
Knowing Thy way is wise.
God, make me brave, life brings
Such blinding things.
Help me to keep my sight;
Help me to see aright
That out of dark comes light.
(author unknown)

No comments: